Preventive Measures Help Protect You.
- Use the "Instant" setting on your home security system when everyone is in bed for the night to cancel the alarm delay and provide extra security.
- Use motion-sensing floodlights to light your yard and give burglars fewer places to hide.
- Many intruders will avoid a home with a home security system, but only if they know there is one. Use plenty of alarm yard signs and window stickers.
- Over 85% of all break-ins are through the doors and 98% are on the main floor. Check to be sure you have secure deadbolt locks and reinforced frames on your doors.
- Save some money. Most insurance companies will give you a discount up to 20% on your homeowners insurance when you have an active home security system that is being monitored by a central station.
- If you go on vacation, arrange your house to look like someone is home by having the lawn mowed, the mail picked up, the drapes and shades open, lights turned on at night, and a car parked in the driveway.
"Over 85% of all break-ins are through the doors and 98% are on the main floor."